Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Philosophy of Vagabonding Part 2

Before I left home in 2005 I used a quote by Mohammed that seemed to legitimize my desire to travel at the time. Since I have been in Turkey, a Muslim country, for nine months now, I feel compelled to repeat this quote: "Don't tell me how many books you have read or how many schools you have been to, tell me how far you have traveled and I will tell you how much you know."

Sure, I know a few words in many different languages. Of course I know many of the different customs from many different countries. I even know where all the gay bars are located in over 20 major cities around the world (that has to be worth something, right?). The education learned on the road is based in survival and resourcefulness. Just as each unique culture presents unique forms of art and dance also comes a healthy dose of quirkiness. Be it the South American proclivity for procrastination or the Turkish fondness for exaggerating the facts or even creating some to meet their needs, these are habits that have been in these cultures for centuries. Your only option is to just deal with it and find a way to achieve your goals in spite of these obstacles.

No comments: